Monday, October 22, 2007

Anne Roiphe - A Tale of Two Divorces

This article discusses two cases in which a divorce was necessary. One of the cases was in need of a divorce, but it never occurred - this case was about Roiphe's parents. She talks about how her mother was treated terribly by her father - he cheated on her, told her he wasn't beautiful, and asked how anyone could love her. Anne watched her mother in misery as she grew up, wondering why her mother didn't divorce. Her mother asked her for advice about whether or not she should leave her father, but Anne's word wasn't enough. Her mother died before she got a chance to liberate herself from the negative relationship. I feel that this is unfortunate situation. I have sympathy for Anne's mother, because I watched my mother go through a divorce and i know how hard it was for her. She felt depressed and lonely, and that is probably what Anna's mother was afriad of feeling. But it seemed to me that she may have felt more lonely when she was married than if she left her husband. She probably reasoned that leaving her husband would cause further grief, but I think that it would have liberated her and effected her positively. The second case of divorce involved Roiphe herself. She had believed that she married a man the complete opposite of her father. She ended up realizing that her husband was more like her father than not, and that she had turned into her mother to a certain degree. Anne made the choice to divorce her husband - a choice she claimed to have bettered her chilren's lives. I believe that divorce, when necessary, may not be as negative as it seems. Of course it is heartbreaking, especially to the kids, but in the future it usually is something that becomes beneficial to the family. I know that if my parents had stayed together, my life may have been more negative. When a relationship gets to the point where fighting occurs on a daily basis, being seperate from that person is necessary for the well being of yourself, and your children. As a child that experienced their parents divorcing, I definitely did not enjoy the experience, but I know that the choice my parents made was for the better of all of our lives.

No comments: