Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Learning to Read - Malcom X

This article talks about the learning experiences of Malcom X. He was only educated up until the 8th grade, so when he tried to read as an adult, he was not able to. He attempted to read, but only understood a couple words out of the whole context. He became angry when he could not write letters and express what he felt, so he decided to do something about it. "I became increasingly frustrated at not being able to express what I wanted to convey in letters that I worte, especially those to Mr. Elijah Muhammad." During his time in jail, Malcom studied the dictionary. I feel that this is a great tactic in homemade education. Understanding every single word in the english language is the first step to reading. I also think that the fact the he wrote out the entire dictionary is what helped his writing to improve. Witht Malcom's new understanding of reading, he was able to explore the many books offered in the prison's library. He explored black history, forcing him to cope with the harsh realities of the treatment of his own race. I think that if I were Malcom, I would be dissappointed to know such a terrible history, but at the same time I would be happy that I was informed. Malcom must have felt so awakened, realizing that if he had never learned how to read, he would never have known the history of his own people. I know that I am amazed every time I read something new, because it increases my knowledge of so many subjects. The power of reading and writing is what educates the people of today. Because Malcom taught himself to read and write, he is - in my eyes - an educator. He was able to teach himself everything there is to know about reading and writing, and this allowed him to further his own knowledge.

No comments: